How To Start A Painting Business In Florida
There are some stages to complete to become a legal painting business in Florida. These links will help register any type of painting business, whether residential, commercial, or both. Be sure to check for local regulations you may be subject to when starting your painting company.
How to Register Your Painting Business In Florida
Here is a website to help you get started with your business in Florida: http://www.floridatrend.com/small-business
1. You will need to select a business structure for your painting company.
Sole-proprietor, LLC, Partnership, Corporation, etc. Find out more here: http://www.floridatrend.com/small-business
2. You will need to choose and register your painting business name.
Find out more about registering a fictitious name in Florida here: https://efile.sunbiz.org/ficregintro.html
If you need help selecting a name for your painting business: Choosing a Painting Business Name
3. You will need to register your painting business with the state of Florida.
You can register your painting business with the state of Florida here: Florida Business Registration
4. You will need to open a business checking account.
Talk to your bank about opening a business account for your painting business with your new business name.
5. You will need to find out about the requirements for taxes, and possibly hire an accountant.
You may want to file your own taxes if you are a small company. As you grow, it will be easier to have an accountant do the work. More information about taxes here: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/info_business.html and http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Starting-a-Business .
6. You will need to get liability insurance.
Find out more about liability insurance here: Painting Business Liability Insurance
7. You may need to register as a Contractor with the state of Florida.
Depending on what type of work you will be doing, you may need to register. There is a fee to register. The registration fee must be paid every other year. There are two types of contractor licenses in Florida- Registered and Certified. Registration – The applicant has taken and passed a local competency examination and can practice only within that locale. Certification – The applicant has taken and passed an examination and can practice throughout Florida. You can find out more about applying for your registration here: Florida Contractor Registration
8. You may need to provide worker’s compensation.
The insurance agency that provided your liability insurance should be able to help with this. You don’t need Worker’s Compensation unless you have employees. Get a Free Quote Now >
9. You will need to get your own health insurance.
Since you will be self-employed, you will need your own health insurance. If you have employees, you will need a plan that will include their health needs also.
10. You are responsible for necessary city licenses and permits.
You may be required to obtain a license to do business in a particular locale, whether you are a resident, or not. You may need to apply for permits before commencing certain types of painting jobs.
11. You may need to follow OSHA regulations.
Depending on how many employees you have, you may need to follow OSHA regulations. http://www.osha.gov